Tuesday, January 27, 2009

California Cosmology: A Quick Look At A Checklist


Over at Blog O'Gnosis, Anne Hill quotes a checklist of elements of California Cosmology offered by Alston Chase. As part of my own ongoing project How I Got To Be A Neo-Pagan Witch--California Cosmology beating at the heart of it--let me take a look at Chase's checklist. In particular, I'll add a brief comment vis a vis the element's influence on the youthful me, growing up and getting Neo-Pagan in the San Francisco Bay Area.

For Chase, California Cosmology is a flowerbed of exotic religions and an eclectic cornucopia of offbeat ideas-

Tao--was an influence, mostly thanks to Alan Watts and KPFA radio; San Francisco had an active Taoist community

Hinduism--was an influence, mostly thanks to Alan Watts and KPFA radio

Zen Buddhism--was an influence, mostly thanks to Alan Watts and KPFA radio; San Francisco had a small and active Zen community

Hua-Yen Buddhism--I don't recall this as an influence distinct from Buddhism in general

Mahayana Buddhism--was an influence, mostly thanks to Alan Watts and KPFA radio: San Francisco had an active Buddhist community

Gnosticism--was an influence, mostly as part of popular culture

physics--University of California, Berkeley/Lawrence Laboratory vs. Stanford in the arena of particle physics was an influence

Heideggerian phenomenology--not much of a distinctive influence on me until college days

Jungian archetypal symbolism--not much of a distinctive influence on me until college days

Yoga--not much of a distinctive influence on me until college days, when I began to do it; I was aware of Yoga thanks to Alan Watts

biofeedback--not a distinctive influence on me, although I did have several EEGs

Transcendental Meditation--not a distinctive influence on me

psychedelic drugs--in the San Francisco Bay Area, in the 60s? yes, they were an influence

self-awareness exercises--yes, a distinctive influence

psychotherapy--apart from popular culture, not a distinctive influence

pre-Socratic philosophy--not a distinctive influence

the 'Inhumanism' of Robinson Jeffers--not a distinctive influence on me

Gandhian pacifism--yes, a distinctive influence; in particular, I paid attention to the then Institute for the Study of Non-Violence

animism--not a distinctive influence, apart from popular culture

panpsychism--not a distinctive influence, apart from popular culture

alchemy--not a distinctive influence, apart from popular culture

ritual magic--not a distinctive influence on me, apart from popular culture; I probably starting thinking of ritual magic as something that it was possible to do when Anton LaVey's Church of Satan caught the public's eye

What Chase's checklist reminds me is that there are lots more elements that could be added to a checklist of California Cosmology. And that California Cosmology--for me--was and continues to be lived rather than listed. Growing up, I participated in California Cosmology as a holistic process, not as a tally of elements. That participation in a holistic process--in which different elements took on varying importance at this moment or that one--and in relation to events that provided contexts--is one reason that it's difficult for me (and others like Anne Hill) to untangle all those elements.

Well, I'll Keep On Truckin'!

http://gnosiscafe.com/gcblog/2007/07/16/california-cosmology/

Powered by Zoundry Raven

No comments: